POSITION: DISTRICT MANAGER, GULU, ARUA, LIRA, YOMBE
April 1, 2017
Village Energy is a Ugandan solar energy startup that is solving the last-mile distribution and servicing challenge in rural East Africa. We set up retail locations and train local young men and women to sell, install, maintain and fix solar products and installations. By investing in human capacity building and physical infrastructure, we hope to boost and sustain solar adoption in rural areas. We currently have 11 branches in Pallisa, Soroti, Kumi and Mbale, and are planning expansion across Uganda this year. In line with this, we seek to recruit excited and motivated managers for each of 3 Districts (Gulu, Arua, and Lira), who can:
- Collaborate with the Regional Manager and carry out a feasibility study for District Sub-Counties.
- Recruit, manage, mentor and support a sales team of Field Agents and Branch Managers.
- Track district and branch performance (sales) towards monthly targets.
- Plan and implement marketing initiatives together with the Branch Managers and Sales/Marketing Manager.
- Understand buying habits/trends at the sub-county and district levels and provide detailed sales projections, research, and business intelligence analysis reports.
- Manage the company customer relations management (CRM) platform and sales operations, including inventory and sales tracking, facilitation and customer information.
- Build a network of and follow-up with clients and partners at the district level.
- Collaborate with District Technicians to ensure a smooth workflow and service delivery.
- Previous work experience managing, recruiting and mentoring sales teams.
- Previous work experience in solar, customer service management (e.g. call center) or services-based sales (e.g. insurance, loans, satellite TV that require after sales servicing and long term client relations management).
- Native from the District and/or knowledge of the local language.
- Computer skills: ability or willingness to learn how to operate a computer/laptop, manage e-mail correspondence and update company CRM using a smartphone app and a computer.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to work with Technical Teams and/or previous experience working with technical teams.
- Deep interest and passion for clean energy in rural, off-grid communities.
- Ability to meet schedules and deadlines of the work area.
- Established personal and/or professional network in the District.
- Previous experience in business development, market research or cultivating partnerships.
- Mechanical or electrical knowledge/experience (e.g. conducting or observing site surveys/installations, ability to explain technical quotations to clients, knowledge of how solar system works).
- A valid driver’s license and clean driving record to safely operate a company vehicle and/or motorbike or personal vehicle for company use as necessary.
Women are especially encouraged to apply!
CVs detailing previous work duties and references together with copies of academic testimonials should be addressed to: The Chief Executive Officer, Village Energy Limited. Letter of Interest is optional.
To apply, please fill out the below form. Applications can also be dropped off at our Mbale office at Plot No. 1, Sleeping Baby building, Maluku drive along Iganga-Kampala rd or our headquarters in Kampala at 7A, Market Rise, Off Namuwongo Road.